Google are making changes to the specification of the Google Product Feed.
This will have a major impact on eCommerce stores starting to use these feed to promote their products,
According to Google, they are:
- Improving their support for merchant-defined multipack. For example, many consumer products like toothpaste are sold in custom multipacks. The feed specification now clarifies how such products should be submitted.
- Moving towards a world with high-resolution displays. Therefore, we are also starting to recommend higher-quality images with at least 800 pixels in height and width to give users a better visual representation of advertised products.
- Introducing the 'identifier exists' attribute.
- Making much stricter requirements for unique product identifiers.
- Updating their guidance for the description and color attributes to make them more precise and actionable.
- We now provide dedicated support for energy efficiency labels and unit pricing for merchants targeting countries in the European Union and Switzerland.
- Allowing tagging of individual items as non-family safe.
Many changes, requiring additional work by merchants. Some of these such as the unique product identifiers will pose a real challenge to many merchants.
ExtraDigital can help address these changes on your store in time for the big change.