Now is the time to be considering updating your store to Magento 2.
When to Migrate to Magento 2
Extra Digital have now built websites in Magento 2.1 and migrated websites to Magento 2.1. Magento 2.1 is a good, stable codebase on which to build a website.
We recommend most clients with Magento stores should plan to migrate to Magento 2 within the year. This includes all websites with standard functionality and using the more popular payment gateways and other integrations. It includes websites with simple trade pricing and most email or social integrations.
A few websites with complex language and pricing relationships or websites with complex customer pricing relationships are best waiting until 2018 before migrating as some of the custom modules are still being developed for Magento 2.
We consider our advice to avoid Magento 2.0 in 2016 to have been correct as development time and costs for this (as quoted at Magento Live conference) were very high.
Magento 1 - a history
- The original Magento codebase was started in 2007, originally known as the "Magento community edition".
- ExtraDigital designed and built their first client Magento eCommerce website in 2008 - to sell high value video cameras.
- In 2009 the flat catalogue table was introduced for the first time in version 1.3
- By 2011 version 1.6 enabled the persistent cart as well as many other upgrades
- In 2014 version 1.9 included a good responsive theme making development of responsive eCommerce stores considerably simpler.
New updates to version 1 have now been paused with migration to Magento 2 encouraged.
Magento 2 - a history
- Magento 2 was planned back in 2010
- By 2015 the beta version was developed of Magento 2.0
- By 2016 the first stores were opened on Magento 2.0 (over budget and late)
- In July 2016 Magento 2.1 is a stable enough platform for most businesses to use.
And looking ahead:
- In 2017 most existing stores should plan their upgrade
- And in 2018 stores with more complex functionality should consider the upgrade.
Need help migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2?
If need help migrating to Magento 2, or are looking for a new Magento website, please contact ExtraDigital.