Back in September 2018, Magento eCommerce announced that after June 2020, they would no longer be providing updates and patches for both Magento 1 and Magento Open Source 1.
Now, more than a year from the platforms’ last updates, we’re still hearing companies continue to operate using these outdated sites. In doing so, companies still using Magento 1 are experiencing a substantial reduction in the functionality and capability of their sites whilst also experiencing a significant risk for the security and safety of their customer’s data.
The ability to safely and securely protect the data and information of customers on eCommerce sites is paramount, and by continuing to use Magento 1, businesses are unable to offer protected and quality payment services to their customers.
As a consequence of halting Magento 1 updates, the eCommerce is officially no longer PCI compliant. Those who fail to migrate to a minimum of Magento 2.3 or another suitable eCommerce platform may face a PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) non-compliance fine.
Alongside financial ramifications, Visa has listed several consequences of not migrating, including:
- Merchants’ eCommerce sites may degrade and become unstable
- Extensions and plug-ins enhancing functionality may break or become unavailable
- Magento developers will become outdated with practising on Magento 1
- Failing to comply with PCI DSS
- Sites to be exposed to more significant security risks and data compromise
Alongside being PCI DSS compliant and still receiving updates to the system, migrating to a Magento 2 eCommerce has a range of benefits, including:
- Improved performance, including speed
- Mobile friendly
- Advanced SEO features
- A range of skilled developers and plug-ins
- Highly secure
If you currently use Magento 1, or even 2 and are looking for a change in your eCommerce, many other platforms can be used, and the benefits they bring to your business is mainly dependent on your specific circumstances.
Choosing the right eCommerce platform can be difficult, and it’s essential to factor in specific questions when deciding on what platform you want to go with, including:
- Whether the platform improves user experience when progressing through the buyer’s journey
- That the platform provides the marketing functionality and tools for launching campaigns
- That the platform is financially sustainable for supporting sales, continuing support and maintenance and ultimately leads to a profitable digital platform
Working in digital marketing for nearly twenty years, we at ExtraDigital are highly experienced and knowledgeable at designing, building and providing ongoing support for websites across a multitude of platforms and industries.
Whether you’re looking for eCommerce within a B2C or B2B environment, we have in-house expertise in creating innovative and bespoke eCommerce sites. Take a look at our extensive portfolio here:
If you’re looking to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2 or another platform, get in touch today with our knowledgeable team. We can discuss a range of options that suit your business, ensure your IPC DSS compliance and provides your business with a profitable digital platform.